December 21, 2007

Training update

Since November 19 I've swum 3.7 miles, run 45 miles, and biked 57 miles in preparation for the Lavaman triathlon. Fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is going well -- people have donated an amazing $1095 already! Thanks to everyone who has contributed!!!

It's interesting to watch my own reactions to endurance training, especially running. It's difficult until my muscles warm up, and sometimes I'm halfway through the run before I start to feel comfortable running. But once I'm through the difficult part, it transforms into a wonderful feeling. I wouldn't call it a "runner's high." It's just the joy of having a healthy body, watching and feeling it perform like it was designed to perform. Those moments more than make up for the pain it takes to get there. I'm so grateful that I have my health, and that it takes relatively little effort to keep it up right now.

There are a lot of people who are working far harder than I am right now, fighting for their lives. My sister's best friend of twenty years is in hospice care. Someone who I admired a great deal and thought of as a mentor died a couple weeks ago. I know a few other people currently fighting cancer, and a couple others recently diagnosed as diabetic or pre-diabetic. Health is so precious. Take care of yourself.

2 Comments:

At January 22, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Jules I wanted to tell you I so admired your comment to my cousins blog."One foot in front of the other>"

Eventually we will update the blog. I wanted to tell you that Michael has passed to a happier place...or so I hope from the bottom of my heart. Just wondering if you knew him or how you found his blog. I miss him so much.Thank you for folowing his journey.....I hope you still will..

Lisa\kidoodle@gmail.com

 
At January 22, 2008, Blogger Jules said...

Hi Brian,
Your e-mail address doesn't seem to work...

I'm so sorry to hear that Michael's gone. He and I never met face to face, but he used to frequent some of the same blogs I did, and I thought we were kindred spirits. He offered some kind words when I needed them (I was going through a divorce) and I thought of him as a friend. I wish you and your family peace and healing.

-Jules

 

Post a Comment

<< Home